Friday 13 January 2012

Warm Splash

Today, Juliet and I went to her first official swimming lesson.  Juliet hasn't been swimming since we've moved into the house (but she went semi-regularly at our condo).  Juliet's swimming lessons are at a pool that specializes in swimming lessons for babies - they have the warmest saltwater pool in Toronto. 

This morning we woke up to the biggest snowfall of the winter season so far, so it was a bit of a treacherous drive to our swimming lesson, but we got there safely.  Juliet and I got changed into our swimsuits and then headed to the pool to check in.  While we were checking in, I felt a splash of the water on my toes and it was indeed warm...but then I realized that there's no way I could have been splashed because of where I was standing.  It was then that I figured out that Juliet peed all over me and it had dripped onto my toes.  Swim diapers are only meant to catch poo, not pee, so when she pees it just simply drips through.  Fun start to the day!

Anyhow, she did really well at her lesson.  She really likes swimming now and I think she was the second best swimmer there (the best swimmer was 11 months so he has a head start).  Not that I'm biased.  We even dunked her head under water and she didn't mind at all.  A couple of the other moms remarked on her beautiful eyes and long lashes.  After the swimming lesson was over, Juliet finally had a nice, long nap.  Not like her usual crappy short daytime naps.
Not the best picture since J isn't looking at the camera.  That's our instructor (who owns the swim school) in the background.
What else have we been up to this week?  Yesterday we went to a breastfeeding support group meeting.  I wanted to ask the others what to expect when I go back to work - even though it's still a few months away, it's hard to imagine that Juliet will completely wean by then.  Their advice was essentially not to worry about it right now - 4 months from now is a long time in baby development time.
At my breastfeeding meeting, she was crawling up a storm - showing off her new skills to the other babies there.
And on Wednesday, we went to grandpa's so that he could spend some quality time with Juliet.  We gave her some more beets while we were there, as you can see from the picture below.  In the evening we skyped with Oma and that was fun.  Although I think next time we'll have to try to do it a bit earlier in the evening since by the end it was close to J's bedtime and she got cranky.

Tomorrow is Juliet's first music class and Leo is taking her, so hopefully that will be fun for both of them.

MORE BEETS!  I forgot to bring a bib, so we tied one of granpa's old dish cloths around Juliet's neck.  Also, this picture makes grandpa look like he really likes to drink. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment