Tuesday 19 July 2011

A Great Introduction

Juliet met her great nana for the first time today and it was so nice to see them interact together.  So few of us get to meet our great grandparents - some of us don't even get the privilege of meeting our "regular" grandparents - so it was really special for Juliet to meet Leo's mom's mom.  I had a really close relationship with my maternal grandmother, so I have a soft spot for grandparents in general - which made this introduction extra meaningful.
Great nana holds Juliet for the first time.

Juliet is a squirmer and a stretcher sometimes.
While we were at great nana's, she taught me how to make a couple of her baking specialties - her famous date squares and her delicious apple pie.  Truthfully, I don't eat either of these things (I'm sure everyone reading this knows I don't like fruit) but Leo loves both of these desserts so I thought I'd learn how to make them.

It was quite amusing as great nana doesn't follow specific recipes for either dessert - she just goes by sight - so it was difficult to try to write down instructions (a "couple of sprinkles" of nutmeg???).  Once I get home I will try to replicate what we made and Leo will have to be my taste tester to see how I do.
Oma and great nana at the beginning of my baking lesson.

The finished products - an apple pie, date squares, and my instructions - complete with diagrams.


1 comment:

  1. It's really nice that you captured this moment with Juliet's great Nana. I wish Gram had been alive to see her. Safe trip home for the two of you. I leave tomorrow for home (arriving I think around 3 pm). Love to you both.

    ReplyDelete