Wednesday 19 October 2011

First Tooth

Last week Juliet and I spent almost the entire week at Oma's.  I drove there with her on Wednesday and Leo took the train there after work on Friday.  All 3 of us were there for the weekend when we had our Thanksgiving dinner with Leo's side of the family.  Juliet was pretty good in the car both on the way there and the way back - she fussed for maybe 20 minutes out of the 3 hour drive, but that's pretty good.

While we were at Oma's, I noticed that Juliet has sprouted her first tooth!  It's on the bottom middle.  I had my finger in her mouth and felt something sharp, and then I took a closer look and saw that it's just starting to peek through.  She hasn't been especially fussy, so I didn't even know she was teething except for the fact that she was especially drooly (thus her nickname - Goober) about 6 weeks ago.  I've read that the typical time for babies to get their first tooth is at 6 months, so our Guber is a little ahead of the game (5 months and a week).

Another first was that we tried her on rice cereal for the first time while we were at Oma's.  We mixed it - maybe only a teaspoon sized amount - with a little breast milk and then Oma fed it to Juliet with the same spoon as she used to feed Leo nearly 33 years ago.  Neat, eh?  Juliet's reaction was her typical one - she was kind of indifferent.  She didn't hate it or turn her head away, but she wasn't like, "wow, this stuff is fantastic!  Give me more!".  She didn't seem to have any reaction so we'll be able to continue giving it to her and also try her on other types of cereal like oatmeal.  According to our doctor, the feeding of solids at this point is more to teach her about eating as opposed to getting calories into her or replacing breast milk.
"Look, I'm holding daddy's old spoon!"

"Mmmmm...rice cereal is so bland"

Here are some other pictures from our week at Oma's:
Oma shows Juliet bubbles.

Juliet sleeps on Oma.

Maybe it's a function of teething, but lately Juliet has been gumming our faces whenever we hold her close to our face.  In this instance she was gumming Leo's nose.

This is Juliet with her Great Nana and her Great Great aunt Edna Anne.  This picture was taken with my camera while Leo and I were out.  I guess they thought it would be funny to pretend to give Juliet some beer!

That gummy smile is going to become a toothy grin pretty soon.  I kind of miss it already :(


No comments:

Post a Comment